I know this post has been in the works for weeks and weeks. I so wanted to include some type of printable with this post about glue but I just couldn’t construct one that seemed any more useful than what you can already find online.
So, I decided to go ahead tell you about my adventure and hopefully in the near future I can offer something you can take away that will help you in some aspect of your crafty life.
I have seen many cornice board projects in the blogging world like this one and wanted to make one exactly by her instructions here. But, you know, things are not perfect and I couldn’t find the Styrofoam she used so I had to substitute.
It seems this substitution ended being a big deal. I used the pink Styrofoam insulation used in house construction and it is some persnickety stuff when it comes to glue!
In case you are not aware, Styrofoam can have chemical reactions to certain adhesives. It took me 4 tries before I discovered which adhesive would stick and stay stuck.
1st Glue – Hot Glue – what was I thinking?? I should’ve known it was gonna melt the Styrofoam. DUH!
2nd Glue – E6000– now this is where I didn’t think about chemistry…it ate right into the Styrofoam
3rd Glue – Spray Adhesive – this was a pain to keep the pieces together while seeing if it was going to stick, which was forever. After waiting and waiting, I really thought it would work but as soon as I pulled on it a little, it came apart. UGHHHH!!
Then I did what I should’ve done before I got started….internet search. My results returned many informative links but the most useful one was this YouTube video. This lady convinced me that Gorilla Glue was the way to go.
4th Glue – Gorilla Glue…SUCCESS! The only negative thing about gorilla glue is that it takes a while to bond and it expands as it dries so a little dab will do ya!
The only parts I glued were the sides to the front and that surface area was pretty narrow so I reinforced the glue with toothpicks.
Once that part was done, covering the foam with fabric was a breeze. But, I am sure glad I had my hubby for the hanging on the wall part because that is not my strong suit.
I kinda messed up on the fabric for one of the boards so I had to piece it as seen on the board on the right.
While buying my supplies for this project, I decided I could use regular curtain rods like these to hot glue (yeah, right) to the boards. Of course, you know how the hot glue turned out so we had to go to Plan B. And sometimes I have to say that my hubby is a genius because his solution was ten times better.
His solution: Use drapery hooks with the straight sharp ends pushed into the foam with the hook part over the top of the curtain rod. AGAIN SUCCESS!!! The foam is so lightweight that only 2 hooks per board were needed and they are so easy to take down.
Once they were up for a week or so, I decided I wanted to add sheers behind them. I found sheers on Target.com on sale and got 6 sheers panels for under $40 dollars. Considering the foam was under $10 and the fabric I got for a steal at Hancock Fabrics on clearance (with enough left over to cover my sofa pillows)…I definitely consider this project a BIG SUCCESS!
WHEWWWW….cornice board adventure complete!
I hope you can take away something from my
mistakes adventure with foam and glue. Don’t forget to check back tomorrow for Favorite Finds Friday or better yet, sign up for email updates!